The Hamilton Music Collective (HMC) is a charitable organization that was founded in 2008 by a local group of musicians, educators and community supporters, who are passionate about music and believe in its transformative power to enrich lives and empower students. HMC’s mission is to invigorate the music scene in Hamilton through professional live performances, education, events, workshops and exhibits.
The Hamilton Music Collective’s largest program, An Instrument For Every Child (AIFEC) removes barriers for students who live in poverty; by encouraging children to participate, awarding grants to cover all program expenses and by providing each participant with his/her own instrument free of charge for the duration of the program. AIFEC’s goals are empowerment and accessibility and to enable all children to experience the joy and benefits of playing music, regardless of their socio-economic position.
The Hamilton Music Collective believes that ALL children should have opportunities to be exposed to music and to learn to play an instrument.
Empowering Positive Change in the Community
The most important changes we are working to achieve include:
- Increased access to music programs for disadvantaged children in Hamilton
- Increasing the number of parents who are actively engaged in their children’s music education
- Maximizing the program’s positive benefits
Educational research shows that:
- Children who study the arts demonstrate stronger overall academic performance. Education is a top public policy priority and the role of the arts in learning is of great interest to parents, educators, legislators, civic leaders and business owners.
- Arts programs improve students’ self-confidence and build communication and problem-solving skills in children and teens. This experience prepares young people to be the resourceful and creative problem solvers, who employers seek for today’s work force.
- The Arts help to develop the kinds of innovative minds and creative skills required by the entertainment, advertising, design, technical, scientific and other industries that enable businesses to compete successfully in the 21st century workplace.